Wednesday, March 16, 2011

March Madness

Most of you know that I grew up overseas. I lived mostly in Mexico and India and eventually met my husband in Japan while I was attending school there for a year. Because of our moving around so much and also not owning a television, we didn't really watch many sports. We were also homeschooled and therefore didn't take part in group sports . Whenever we got together with neighborhood children or other missionaries, we would play things like kickball, hide & seek, and kick the can--games easily played when large amounts of children come together.


But, I always knew I would be married with children one day.  And, I further knew that men love sports. They love nothing more than sitting down in front of the TV on a weekend watching the Game. I prepared for this mentally and even developed an interest in American football. I was ready to Support My Man.
Then I got married to Tom who couldn't care less who is playing which game. He supports no team and is completely indifferent to one of the best days of the year: Super Bowl! Ah, the ironies of life.
And so, my sports education remained fairly lacking. Aside from some professional football, my annual Superbowl Party, and the World Cup every four years, I really don't watch much sports.


Yesterday I was invited by Lu at www.justlu.com to come join her March Madness bracket challenge. just housewives bracket challenge 
I wrote back that I have too much on my plate right now, but that I can never hear about March Madness without remembering the following story:
When we lived in Lusaka  (the capital of Zambia), there was a monthly braii (barbeque) for all the missionaries. We would rotate between houses, bring our own meat to throw on the grill, and potluck the other dishes.

At one of the houses, I noticed that most of the men had gathered in the living room and were watching some type of sport. I only saw a grandstand of some sort filled with people. I tried to enter into the festivities by asking what sport they were watching. Nearly every head turned to stare at me, and one man spoke up, "It's Basketball!" The Duh! was inferred. It was March. I had no idea about the madness that sweeps our nation. 

"To be forewarned is to be forearmed". or Never enter a room full of men and try to enter into the conversation unless you have some idea what you're talking about.

5 comments:

  1. Hubs & I are the same about sports & neither of my boys are into sports either.

    I can just imagine the looks on their faces when you asked your question.

    Hugs & love,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy, Just stopping by to thank you for stopping by on my SITS day, and wow, what a fascinating, generous life you lead. I'll be back for more! So much more intriguing than basketball...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Amy, how funny! I understand how you feel. Even though I LOVE basketball, I don't know hardly a thing about football and the men in my life roll their eyes when I start asking questions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED this story. :)

    ReplyDelete

Come hang out with me. Your comments brighten my day and make me feel less lonely in my corner of the globe. .Wanna know more about my crazy life? Give a shout!

You can also email me at amymorrowinafricaATgmailDOTcom

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis