Thursday, October 28, 2010

Your Questions Answered--#3

Today I'm answering more of your questions. You can find Volume One here, and Volume Two here. 
 
Susie B
How close is your house to the local village and how many people are in the village?

Main road leading to 'town'
This is the road I walk on each day, but I walk the opposite direction.
 
We live just outside the main part of the village. I'm taking this photo from the side of our property and the ladies walking there on the road are headed down to the village center. This is also known as the boma. For years we thought that boma was a local language word but came to find out it is actually BOMA (British Overland Management Area) but it has now been adopted into the local vernacular. It is probably about 1/2 a mile to the main part of the village where the 'shops' are. It takes about 15-20 minutes since the road is very sandy.

When we first moved out here the information we received was that this village is the largest in southern Africa with a population of 20,000 people. Our friend from the rural health center says that their catchment area contains 30,000 people. So, it is around 20-30,000 people. A lot in other words. This is one of the reason I feel overwhelmed at times. With this many people there is always a need for something. We could work 24 hours a day every day and never run out of something to do.
The nice thing about living up on our hill is that we are a bit removed from the main village life. You can see in the picture above that all around us there are huts, but things are pretty quiet. On Saturday and Sunday nights the noise of drinking and loud music filter up to us on the wind but we don't receive the full brunt of it. And that, my friends is a very good thing.

Thank you so much for all the great questions I've been receiving. Your questions are very precious to me and I enjoy answering them. Please continue to leave new questions in the comments or send me an email at amymorrowinafricaATgmailDOTcom. Of course change to AT and DOT to symbols. ;)

2 comments:

  1. I am always fascinated by your stories! Thanks for sharing them.

    Hugs & love,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. For some reason I thought you were far more remote than that.

    ReplyDelete

Come hang out with me. Your comments brighten my day and make me feel less lonely in my corner of the globe. .Wanna know more about my crazy life? Give a shout!

You can also email me at amymorrowinafricaATgmailDOTcom

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis