Saturday, February 25, 2012

Book Reviews--Old Man and The Sea, Les Miserables & Pygmalion

I've been trying to post a new book review every Saturday. I'm working on some really exciting ones. 

Today, since Timothy is about to fly the nest, I thought I'd share some of his favorite classic book reviews. We're all on Goodreads and my kids have a competition of sorts in how many books they can read and post ratings/reviews on. Now, that's a competition I can get behind!

A few humble Reviews by Timothy~ (his title--not mine)


The Old Man and the Sea
by Ernest Hemingway

 "A triumphant tale not valiantly written. There has been some speculation that this story is an analogy about impotency, now although I didn't see that as much as others. as I did read this lifeless and dully written book, I was becoming impotent, at least figuratively. Overall a great story, but because of the morbid writing, I suffered through it. In a way, this book was my fish to struggle to catch."




Les Miserables
  by Victor Hugo.

 " Beautiful. I must say that this story may be the most beautiful tale ever told. Although the book is full of sorrow and misery, the main character valiantly defeats the obstacles thrown at him in his life. Oscar Wilde once said in De Profundis that one cannot enjoy the beauties of life without learning the feelings and essence of suffering and sorrow, and I believe Jean Vanjean did just that, not by choice but by fate. Lastly, I will leave you with a quote about this book, "so long as ignorance and misery remain on earth, books like this cannot be useless."--Hauteville House, 1862./ ."


 Pygmalion
    by George Bernard Shaw.

 ** spoiler alert ** 
"I really enjoyed Pygmalion, quite entertaining and intelligent. I have two reasons why this did not get five stars (he gave it four). Although close to the incredibly funny banter as what "The Importance of Being Ernest" had, I wasn't very much entertained till the second half of the play. Secondly, I really felt that Eliza should have married Higgins, and since she went for that Freddie boy, I was quite disappointed."


 Exactly Two Years Ago: Keeper, Sleeper, Weeper

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Come hang out with me. Your comments brighten my day and make me feel less lonely in my corner of the globe. .Wanna know more about my crazy life? Give a shout!

You can also email me at amymorrowinafricaATgmailDOTcom

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis