Monday, April 11, 2011

Look On the Bright Side of Life

  Let's start off today's post with a song:
 
♫ Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse. ♪
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best...♫
♫ And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life... ♪
♫ If life seems jolly rotten
There's something you've forgotten
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing. ♪
When you're feeling in the dumps
Don't be silly chumps
Just purse your lips and whistle - that's the thing. ♫

 All together now:

♫ And...always look on the bright side of life... Always look on the light side of life..
 
That was Monty Python, everyone!
 
So today, the gristle that I'm finding it hard to whistle around is that it's gonna be hard to look on the bright and light side of life when we have no lights.
 
Yes, folks, we were just told, that for the next 20 or so days we going to have no electricity all day long. Praise our Heavenly Father, we will have power at night (or so they've told me) so all is not lost. But it is definitely going to be challenging this month.
 
My plan for this time period is going to be work on non-electric stuff from 10 a.m to 6 p.m. I'll work with the kids, organize the office and filing system, supervise my kids in their homeschooling, cook, etc. 
Then I'll work on electronic stuff from 6 p.m to 2 a.m: office work, correspondence, computer and internet stuff, laundry, pumping water, etc. 
Sleep will be from 2 a.m to 10 a.m. 
Of course meals, exercise and recreation will figure in there somewhere.

Things to be thankful for:
We do have a battery/inverter system and a generator if we really need them.
Our cooking is done on a gas stove so our meals won't be affected.
 
I'm thinking that doing my work at night with no distractions will enable to me to get more done. I might even begin writing that book I'm always threatening I'll do.
 
Working in the night will put me in sync with U.S times. This means I'll be able to communicate with people more and even connect more socially. 
 
On that note: My twitter ID is @amyinafrica, my Skype ID is amy.morrow, and my facebook page link is: Amy's Adventures. I'm gonna take advantage of my nighttime computer hours to invest more time in my facebook page. So, come on by, like me (you know you want to) and let's chat.
Challenges:
When the power goes off during the day, it is easy to slip into hibernation mode. It's kinda like a snow day for us. Everything gets really quiet with no electronic white (or other) noise. When one's schedule is disrupted it can be tempting to just curl up on a sofa and read a book rather than deal with the restructuring.
We can't have 20 'snow days' in a row so we're gonna have to push through and stay on track.


How you can pray:
  • pray the power will come on in the evenings as promised, and that when it does that it will stay on the entire time.
  • pray that the electricity we are supplied with has enough power to do the job. We frequently only receive 75% of the volts we should get which means things like washing machines and water pumps don't work. With only getting electricity half the day as it is, we're gonna need those hours to count.
  • pray for our fridges & freezers to keep their cool so our food doesn't spoil. We'll be making blocks of ice at night to place in the fridge during the day.
So, that's my challenge this week. What's your week shaping up like?

 Exactly One Year Ago: Easter Photos
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Oh my! You've got our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goes to show how much having electricity is taken for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could always keep your food cold with the frozen snakes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again how amazing that you persevere and conquer. I love the ways to told us how to help you with prayer.

    Hugs & love,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be praying hard for you!!! It's hard for me to imagine. My week is a cake walk compared to that. Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete

Come hang out with me. Your comments brighten my day and make me feel less lonely in my corner of the globe. .Wanna know more about my crazy life? Give a shout!

You can also email me at amymorrowinafricaATgmailDOTcom

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis