Sunday, March 18, 2012

Book Review--Illusion by Frank Peretti



From Goodreads.com: Dane and Mandy, a popular magic act for forty years, are tragically separated by a car wreck that claims Mandy’s life—or so everyone thinks. Even as Dane mourns and tries to rebuild his life without her, Mandy, supposedly dead, awakes in the present as the nineteen-year-old she was in 1970. Distraught and disoriented in what to her is the future, she is confined to a mental ward until she discovers a magical ability to pass invisibly through time and space to escape. Alone in a strange world, she uses her mysterious powers to eke out a living, performing magic on the streets and in a quaint coffee shop. 

What a book!!

Frank Peretti was one of the first Christian authors I read that really got me excited about the craft of fiction writing and also managed to wake up my spirit as well. When I heard he'd written a new book after a 9 year break I couldn't wait to read it.

This is a fantastic novel--well written and executed in a way that kept me wondering all day, "Is it bed time yet? I have to get back to reading!" Unlike many Christian novels, this was a story that had Christian characters rather than Christian characters with a supporting story.

The science part of the story had just enough mumbo-jumbo to convince me that it could be real, but not enough to make me turn to scanning rather than reading.

My only complaint was with the few hospital scenes. They had obviously been researched rather than lived, if that makes sense--but really that is such a small complaint and did not detract at all from how exciting the book was.

The romance was sweet but not over the top. This means I can recommend this book to my teenage son without worrying that he'll gag. Make haste and get thyself a copy of Illusion. You won't regret it!

I was given a free digital galley in order to create this review. My opinions, as always, are my own.

Exactly Two Years Ago: Outdated Judgement





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Come hang out with me. Your comments brighten my day and make me feel less lonely in my corner of the globe. .Wanna know more about my crazy life? Give a shout!

You can also email me at amymorrowinafricaATgmailDOTcom

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis