Saturday, June 19, 2010

Just Another Average Day


We've had a leak in our water tank for a while now. Tom has done everything he can think of to fix it and today decided to call in the 'big guns'. He got a welder to come out. He is going to melt our plastic tank and hopefully fuse the sides of the leak together. I'm thinking it's going to make a bigger hole but that's why I'm not on the maintenance committee. Heh.
 I'll let you know how it all turns out tomorrow.



Anyway, in order to fix the tank it had to  be drained. All 5000 liters of it (that's 1200 gallons for my Yankee readers).

I was preparing lunch when I heard shouting and saw my teenage son go running across the yard. When I got out to the driveway I saw this:



Then I saw Tom near our banana plantation doing this:


And Benard (our second gardener) doing this:


Here's the explanation. We had to drain the water from the tank but the two pipes didn't fit together. I think you need a collar or something. 


Anyway, Peter and Timmy had to hold the two pipes next to each other so the water would 'jump' from one pipe to the next and head down--way down--to Tom.


Here he would fill up buckets


and poor Benard would run with them to pour on each of the banana trees (or are they plants?)



He had to do this over and over again. I got tired just watching him.


Then they moved the pipe to the other side of the driveway and the work continued down another row of banana trees/plants

At least we were able to make use of most of the water. A job well done!

What has been your drama for the week?

4 comments:

  1. That's a lot of bananas! :-) Are they strictly for your use, or do you sell them? Do you grow different varieties? What about plantains?

    Sure hope the fix of the water tank works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of work. I never knew that water could be trained to jump.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJune 20, 2010

    Hmmmmm.... well.... I hope the welder knows what he's doing. I have a vested interest in this problem! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! My life is completely boring next to that excitement :-)

    ReplyDelete

Come hang out with me. Your comments brighten my day and make me feel less lonely in my corner of the globe. .Wanna know more about my crazy life? Give a shout!

You can also email me at amymorrowinafricaATgmailDOTcom

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis