Thursday, June 17, 2010

If Man Was Meant to Fly....

...He Would Have Been Born with Wings.
A couple days ago as our gardener walked to work, he passed a man sitting alone under a tree looking up at the sky. Since it is rare to see someone sitting alone here, our gardener walked over to ask if the man was ok. 
"Yes," he replied. "I was just looking up and thinking about how unfair God is." 
"Why is that?", our gardener asked.
"Well, I was looking up at the sky and saw an airplane go by and I was thinking how unfair it is for God to show me this thing when I will never be able to fly in one."

When Tom relayed this story to me my first reaction was to feel heartbroken for this poor man who felt deprived in this life.

Then we got to talking about how he really had it all wrong. God doesn't pick and choose favor in such a random way. Sure, He rewards those who follow and serve Him but His rewards are everlasting more often than not and not just a temporary thrill or joy ride.

God doesn't really have a lot to do with whether this man in our village ever rides in a plane. If that man were to work really hard at a business and then build it into an international company and get the chance to travel the world, would he think that it was God who put him on the plane? Me thinks not. We, as humans, have the tendency to assign blame to a higher power to take the pressure off ourselves.

Envy is a real thing which is why it was included in the original commandments. All of us can fall prey to this temptation. Even me! Imagine that. LOL! I was telling a friend the other day that I know I'm getting homesick when I daydream of cleaning bathrooms. I'm a terrible housekeeper! and yet that is what Satan uses to get under my skin. Perhaps there are those of you that envy me being able to live my dreams and travel the world. Heh. 


One thing I know to be true (look at me channeling Oprah--NOT) is that God has a plan for our lives but it is up to us to put in the time and the hard work to make sure that we are following Him. When we do this we can be sure that He is going to give us the desires of our heart because our hearts will be desiring Him! And He deserves our praise in the good times and the disappointing times.


What do you think?





1 comment:

  1. I think you're 100% right. It's easy to fall prey to envy - I'm certainly guilty of that myself - but we have to realize that we're here following His plan for us.

    ReplyDelete

Come hang out with me. Your comments brighten my day and make me feel less lonely in my corner of the globe. .Wanna know more about my crazy life? Give a shout!

You can also email me at amymorrowinafricaATgmailDOTcom

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis