Shop AND Support Kazembe Orphanage!

Monday, June 7, 2010

I forgot....

I forgot...how huge the African sun is at dawn. When Tom and I drove up from Lusaka we left the house there before sunrise and got to watch the sun come up. It was beautiful!

I forgot...how many smells there are here. From the taxi driver who sorely needed a bath to the open pit toilet on the journey north. You'd think I'd get used to them all by now, but no.


I forgot*....how much I love seeing the kids learn new things. Watching the foster kids master the new Wii made me giggle out loud many times yesterday.

I forgot....that a security guard has to check my receipt as I leave the grocery store. I barreled past him and he called me back and then punished me by reading every item on my list before releasing me.

I forgot*...how much I enjoy cooking in my kitchen. Since I've been back (all of two days) I've made beer-batter fried fish with spiced rice, coffee cake, and chicken and potato curry. Oh, yum!

I forgot...how much of a mess I make when I finally get home and work on unloading all the goodies I've brought home. Thanks to generous donors all the kids are now wearing new (to them) clothes and Crocs.

I forgot*...how quickly kids grow and change when you're away for two months. Boy, do they ever!

*I didn't really forget all these things. They're too good to forget. But do you get the idea that I'm happy to be home? I really, truly am.

2 comments:

  1. aww, smiles for the joy of coming home!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete

Come hang out with me. Your comments brighten my day and make me feel less lonely in my corner of the globe. .Wanna know more about my crazy life? Give a shout!

You can also email me at amymorrowinafricaATgmailDOTcom

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis