Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Could this be Jet Lag or just Drag?

I have had such a hard time getting back into the swing of things. It's been 10 days since I left the U.S, 8 days since I arrived in Zambia and nearly 4 days that I've been back home. So why do I still feel draggy? I have always considered myself one of those people that doesn't get jet-lag because I usually just adapt quickly to my new time zone. I don't wander the halls at night. I go to bed at a reasonable time and wake up in the morning as usual. 


So what on earth is this new development? I'm sleeping fine at night but I can't seem to get my butt in gear all day long. I'm having trouble focusing on tasks and I feel the need to nap all day long. I've been working out so it isn't a need for exercise....


 I'm wondering if it is sensory overload plain and simple. I just spent the last 2 months running around like a crazy woman: Criss-crossing the U.S, speaking before crowds, catching up with relatives and spending time with my older children. Not that I didn't thoroughly enjoy every minute of my time in the States (well, nearly every minute anyway...lol), I really had a good time. I love my job!


Now I've come back to my 'other' life. I have piles of work to catch up on that accumulated during my absence as well as the usual work of running a home for children as well as caring for my own family.
I've been working out in my living room (yoga and Jillian Michaels) but I have no desire to go out to walk/run. I feel like hibernating. 

 Geesh, I look exhausted here!

Could it be that I just need to adjust and give my body (and spirit) time? Maybe I need more vitamins? What do you think? Have you felt that type of exhaustion before that had nothing to do with newborn babies? What did you do to combat it?

6 comments:

  1. I think after your constant activity and travel the past 2 months it would be more unusual if you weren't feeling tired. :-) Is there any way you can take a day or two to just rest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy's AdventuresJune 10, 2010

    Lori: I'm hoping to at least have a morning off this Saturday. All my backed up work is due now, if not yesterday or last week, so I am having a hard time justifying not working but of course if I don't rest I will probably regret it more later. Being well rested may improve my productivity as well so there is that....
    I do have two sweet volunteers helping out right now so I'm hoping they can look after things on Saturday so I can give in to my body's demands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes! I call it "hitting the wall." It usually happens to me after a big event that I've prepared for and then gotten through successfully. For me it's the physical and emotional phhhtttt after I've been working really hard on something. Hang in there! And try to take a nap if you can ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the other commenters and especially "hitting the wall"--I say the same thing when I feel like that! Give yourself time. I would say to try to stay on a routine of going to bed and getting up at the same times--getting enough sleep every night for awhile; you're doing great taking vitamins and continuing to exercise; also healthy food; you'll feel your energy return, I think, soon. I did want to ask if you know if your blood (hemoglobyn) is low: eating iron-rich foods would be good. I find that eating spinach helps my energy levels. (No parasites or anything?) Most importantly, staying in the Word of God is so important. You've actually been through a lot, so extending to yourself the same mercy and grace that you give to everyone else and loving yourself is just the thing!
    Glad to see you're back!
    Blessings,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been running around trying to do everything. of course, you're going to be tired.
    Also, I shouldn't say this, but you're not as young as you used to be to bounce back like you used to...
    One thing that I've noticed that makes me tired is sitting in front of the computer too long of stretches. I need to get out and get some sun in my eyes so I can sleep at night. Something about vit D that helps you get rest and therefore, energy,,,
    Another thing is the lack of stress. (not to say you don't have it with all the papers waiting for you on your desk), but when you finish one big push, there's this let-down afterwards... the adrenaline (sp) is gone that kept you wired.... and now you probably don't have it.
    Hope things start leveling off for you...
    God bless you for all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJune 12, 2010

    We learned of your wonderful work through Mr Ray Sullins..he sent us your website...my Jehovah continue to bless your work ! the wrights of crosby, Tx. 77532,,,,etta55@aol.com

    ReplyDelete

Come hang out with me. Your comments brighten my day and make me feel less lonely in my corner of the globe. .Wanna know more about my crazy life? Give a shout!

You can also email me at amymorrowinafricaATgmailDOTcom

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis