Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Making a List & Checking it Twice

I'mma not gonna say that your lists aren't good and all, I'mma just gonna say that my list is the best of the year.

(please tell me you know what I'm parodying.....if not, find someone between the age of 18 and 24)

This year, as a new Fundraising idea, Tom will be making appearances in Lusaka as Father Christmas. So far he has three appointments scheduled. We anticipate that he will be fully booked the closer we get to Christmas--forward planning isn't a high priority here.

Tom's first mall appearance is December 15. He'll be heading down a couple days before that to get ready. Jasmine and Troy will go with him--they're hoping to see The Hobbit--so they can have a bit of free time and fun. They're excited about attending a youth group as well.

Because Tom will be away for 2 weeks we're going to have to skip a shopping trip. Due to timing of everything our next shopping trip after tomorrow will be next year.

In between this one and the next we have a staff Christmas party, Christmas for our family, Christmas for the kids, and New Year's Eve, plus one month's worth of meals.

I'm trying to keep calm about the fact that if I don't do a comprehensive enough list we could RUN OUT OF FOOD.


It's not really all that bad. Really. If we get desperately low I'm sure we can call the store manager and ask him to send supplies up by bus.

The main thing we'll run low on is  fresh vegetables.We can always 'eat local', but that will limit us to cabbage and collard greens and I like just a little bit more variety in my produce.

Jasmine and Troy can also bring up things from Lusaka if anything is missing. Tom will be here sometime between Christmas and New Year's Eve. He can bring anything we're missing. I can always take the bus down for a day trip like the olden days if need be.

So, once again I'm being melodramatic. But, the truth is that today I have to make a shopping list that (mostly) covers all our needs for the next four weeks. I'm also gathering to be photocopied all the coloring pages and activities that the kids will need for Christmas Fun!

You might be wondering what we'll do for Christmas since Tom will be playing Santa down in Lusaka on or near Christmas Day. We've decided to celebrate on December 28, which will give Tom time to get home. The good thing about having preschoolers is that they have no idea what the date is. We just told them when the countdown started and that was that. I'll write more about the things we're doing with them this month later.

I guess I can count my blessings and be glad for the fact that I don't have to face Christmas traffic, right?


1 comment:

  1. Fantastic goods from you, man. I've understand your stuff previous to and you're just too excellent.
    I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you're stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it sensible. I cant wait to read far more from you. This is actually a wonderful web site.
    My blog ... amphora pipe tobacco

    ReplyDelete

Come hang out with me. Your comments brighten my day and make me feel less lonely in my corner of the globe. .Wanna know more about my crazy life? Give a shout!

You can also email me at amymorrowinafricaATgmailDOTcom

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis