Thursday, October 13, 2011

This and That and News

First of all: 
We did it! You did it!
We reached our goal! Thanks to you!
All 100 chickens have been provided for.

Now, being that this is still Africa, those chickens are still living in their original home. If you remember, I said we were getting a deal on the transport costs because we were piggybacking on another order. Unfortunately, that other party hasn't yet fulfilled their payment obligations so the trip has been delayed. We've been assured that our chickens are happy and healthy (not really on the happy part--but they probably are, right?), and we are expecting them to reach Mansa next Thursday. I'll keep you posted.

Next, I really appreciate all your sweet comments about my last post, Lean on Me. The unkind comment that I referred to happened quite a long time ago--can you say grudge-holding?--but it has often come to mind as I walk around our home and see all the wonderful children that have come together to form a family. One day, (I didn't have my camera with me) I saw a nanny sitting on a bamboo mat outside with a child from each age group and they were all playing so lovingly together. It made me so very happy!

Also, a few months ago, I wrote about some things that were weighing on my mind. One of them, was about Queenie and how her father had remarried and we weren't sure how that was going to impact her life. Susie reminded me yesterday that I hadn't written an update about that. Actually, it all just fizzled out--as many of our worries tend to do. Queenie's father never did come visit as he had promised to do--and his phone calls have also stopped. I hadn't even realized that until I sat down to write this. I can't remember when he last phoned. It's possible that his new wife is taking all his time. They may even be starting a new family. I'm just glad that Queenie is young enough that she doesn't seem to have been affected.

Finally, Tuesday morning I woke to new drama. Oh. My. Goodness. You don't even want to know. It's in the process of being sorted out and it is just more staffing issues. But, my heart broke a bit again. I was disappointed in humankind. I didn't want to carry on. I knew the only thing I could do was pray. I grabbed Tom, we sat on our living room couch, and he prayed. Part of his prayer was this:

Lord, this is your orphanage. We are just managers. 

People, I can't even begin to tell you how much that impacted me. God is the boss. I'm just his humble worker. This doesn't mean I'm abdicating any responsibility. No manager worth their salt would just let things run their course without doing their best to make sure everything is working properly. But! The ultimate success or failure of this project is in His Hands. Oh, what a relief!

Exactly One Year Ago: African Travel Truths

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Come hang out with me. Your comments brighten my day and make me feel less lonely in my corner of the globe. .Wanna know more about my crazy life? Give a shout!

You can also email me at amymorrowinafricaATgmailDOTcom

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis