Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Chai and More

We adopted a new little baby into our household. No, not Joshua. Although it looks like God might be working it out for him to join us soon. More about this later.



Our newest baby is from the feline family. She is so sweet and loves to crawl all over the teenagers while they do their schoolwork.




Poor little kitten has an eye infection and seems to be too young to have left her mom. We're putting drops in her eyes and also feeding her with a syringe. She has the tiniest, yet amazingly loud, meow.



Meet Chai. Her name reminds me of my time in India, and one of my favorite drinks. It also sounds Asian and I think Asian names are good for cats.


There are many, many versions of chai but I will share mine with you today. It is courtesy of Expanding the Table.--My all-time favorite cookbook.

Chai: Steep 3 tea bags in 5 cups of boiling water in a saucepan. Add 1 and a half cups of milk and spices (1 whole cinnamon stick, 5 cloves, 3 cardomoms--crushed a bit). Stir in 1/3-2/3 cups of sugar depending on the intensity of your sweet tooth. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the tea bags. Serve through a tea strainer into your prettiest tea cups. 


We introduced Chai to Moriah (2), Nathan (2) and Peter (18 mos.) today. 


Nathan especially enjoyed her. He wanted to keep pulling her tiny tail.
I love having animals around for the kids. I think it teaches them compassion--occasional tail pulling notwithstanding.


Many of you have asked, after Monday's post, how you can help the orphanage. We have several ways that you can donate if you would like to do that. All donations made to our charity,  Global Contributions, are tax-deductible. The Sponsorship page at our Kazembe Orphanage website will give you all the details. 
Also, if you look up at the right-hand corner of this blog, you can see see a Donate button. That gives you the opportunity to send a tax-deductible donation using Paypal.

We've already had a few responses to Monday's post and for that we are incredibly grateful. We still have a ways to go to reach our goals. I will share more this week or next about how things are going on this front.

In the meantime, we'll keep loving the babies we have--every single one.

26 comments:

  1. Hi, Amy! I'm your newest follower :)

    I love baby kittens, missionaries, chai tea, and your blog! What an adventure....can't wait to get caught up on your journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My girls saw this over my shoulder and went into shrieks of delight. Is there any child who does not love a kitten?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh kittens are good for the soul. I will be praying for you!

    Hugs & love,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg... kittens are incredibly over-the-top when it comes to adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The kitty looks very popular!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looking forward to getting to know you! subscribing, came by during sitsgirls cocktail chat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for visiting my blog during cocktail hour! I'll have to come back and read more of your blog... it seems like a lovely place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Visiting from the SITS Cocktail Hour. I know you weren't officially called yet but I wanted to say "hi".

    I'm not a huge cat lover but that kitty is adorable!

    http://morethana-mom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cutest kitty I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My youngest wants a kitten so badly she can hardly stand it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! Kitties and children...nothing cuter. I, too, believe animals are great teachers of compassion ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Visiting from the SITS #cocktail hour - little kitty is so so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, sooooooooooooo cute!!! Good for you for taking the wee little kitty in!!

    Here from the Cocktail Hour. Hope you have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet little kitten! Thanks for the chai recipe...I love chai, but the store bought chai is a little too sweet for me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, that is just so cute. I want to get a new little kitten. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so happy that you were part of the #cocktail party! :)

    Those kittens are adorable. Makes me want to adopt another one.

    Your chai tea recipe sounds delicious. I'm going to have to see if I can find chai here in Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a sweet little thing! I had fun on the #cocktail hour. So fun meeting new peeps.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What amazing adventures you are having! Chai will be a lovely little companion to you all, I'm sure. I also read the post before this about Joshua. What a beautiful little man he is - I will think good thoughts that thing work out for him, whether that means finding a place with you or somewhere else.

    So glad I found you through the cocktail hour last night - I'm definitely adding this blog to my reader.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Visiting from SITS #cocktail hour! Your blog is lovely and so sweet and genuine. Reading this post and a few of your others really warmed my heart tonight. Really! Keep writing and sharing. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How tiny and precious!!! I love baby kitties :)

    here from sits #cocktail

    ReplyDelete
  21. All I can say is wow. I think we all have watched the feed the children infomercials on TV not knowing if we will ever see where our donations go. Your blog is truly what people like me who have always wanted to help needed. Here from #cocktail. Definitely following and donating! I look forward to reading and seeing the children's pictures. Keep up your humble work and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Visiting from the SITS Cocktail Hour... yes, just now getting around to some to leave a comment. But I must say I'd LOVE to come back to read more of your blog when I have some more time. We have some things in common, I see (adoption and faith, namely!). Looks like you've had some wonderful adventures!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Is there anything cuter than a tiny kitten? I don't think so! : )

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stoppin' by from SITS...what an amazing life you lead here!

    May God continue to bless you and your family.

    Toni
    http://carrigansjoy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Stopping by from SITS... I'm in AWE of you. You make my life seem so... silly. LOL
    You're fabulous!
    Genevieve
    http://www.celebrate2da.com/2011/03/chick-chat-i-thought-i-had-class-i-dont.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm having the best time getting to know you and your family through your blog! One minute you have me in tears and then I'm laughing :)

    I'm going to try your recipe for chai tea...I made it for a WMU meeting at my house during the time we were collecting money for the Lottie Moon offering, but yours sounds better :)

    The first time I tried it was a couple of years ago. We visited my sister and her family in Wake Forest, NC at seminary. They took us to meeet some friends of theirs who were former missionaries to Pakistan? They served coffee, but also had chai tea and I just fell in love with it...plus it's neat knowing I'm drinking something that our missionaries become so familiar with overseas.

    Take care. I'll be praying for y'all :)

    ReplyDelete

Come hang out with me. Your comments brighten my day and make me feel less lonely in my corner of the globe. .Wanna know more about my crazy life? Give a shout!

You can also email me at amymorrowinafricaATgmailDOTcom

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis