Sunday, May 15, 2011

Sundays in My City--Just Dance!

“Life may not be the party that we hoped for…
But while we’re here, we should dance.”

- Author Unknown 




Last week, instead of holding our regular staff training meeting, I invited the ladies to take part in a Just Dance tournament. I paired them up as they walked into the room so there wouldn't be any calls of foul play.
They all laughed a lot and had so much fun. 


Beatrice was our winner. The above photo was the only one I could find just now.  (My photos are in a mess right now). We were short one nanny for even teams so I was paired with one of them. I do NOT have photos of that!
After two rounds of dancing we talked briefly about competition and improving on your own score or performance and how that makes the entire group better. 
There can be a feeling in African culture about not wanting to outdo anyone or make yourself look better, and while on the one hand that kind of attitude can promote unity, it can hinder development because no one wants to do better and look like they're just trying to be proud, or as we saw in the recent riots people can even be attacked for being prosperous.
I want to encourage the ladies to each be the best they can be while still working as a team. I'll have to tell you later about our next project which is promoting better work standards and a team effort.
And in the meantime, as we learn how to work together for a better Zambia, we'll dance!




Unknown Mami

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Come hang out with me. Your comments brighten my day and make me feel less lonely in my corner of the globe. .Wanna know more about my crazy life? Give a shout!

You can also email me at amymorrowinafricaATgmailDOTcom

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis