Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sundays in My City--Special Delivery

Most of you know that my husband keeps snakes as a hobby. Most you probably don't like to think about it much. Some of you may have wondered what we feed the snakes. Many of you probably don't really care. But, for those who are even mildly interested here is the scoop:

 
 The cutie in the middle is Julian. He is thirteen years old. He told me he catches the rats for the snakes by putting food inside discarded, empty formula cans. He sits there until a rat runs in and then pops the lid on. Sounds like tedious work that takes patience.
We pay them $.10 for each rat. The kids get some spending money, the farmers have less rats in their fields, the snakes are well fed and thus less tempted to hunt. Everyone's happy!

********
I haven't been able to write much this week. After taking care of the logistics for my brother in Lusaka, I traveled back to Kazembe with Tom (it's so nice to have him back) and will be leaving for New York for my brother's memorial on Tuesday. Well, I'll be leaving here on Tuesday on the overnight bus (which starts at noon) and after a day in Lusaka will fly out on Thursday. I have a four hour flight and a nineteen hour flight. All this on top of a 17 hour bus ride a day before. Yikes!

In the meantime, Meghan (our latest volunteer) has been writing about her adventures here at the orphanage. Check 'em out. They're great!


Unknown Mami


Exactly One Year Ago: One of Those Days

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Come hang out with me. Your comments brighten my day and make me feel less lonely in my corner of the globe. .Wanna know more about my crazy life? Give a shout!

You can also email me at amymorrowinafricaATgmailDOTcom

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis