Sunday, June 26, 2011

Sundays in My City--Back on the Horse.....

.......or is it pig?

I arrived back home at the orphanage, Friday morning,and found big changes. Seeing as I had only been away for 10 days to attend my brother's memorial--I was out of the country only 7 days--I was a little surprised. There were two new babies in residence! I'll tell you all about them later.

When I got off that nineteen-hour bus ride the house was empty and quiet. The kids and babies were all going about their daily routines but my portion of the house was deserted because it was shopping day. I unpacked in the peace and quiet and rested a bit. I enjoyed the break from the hustle and bustle that had filled my days recently.

When Tom finally pulled up (extra late) at 7:30 PM he had another new resident for our orphanage. This one didn't need to be wrapped in diapers and blankets but it sure needed a bath.


Meet Pig--name to be decided in the near future.


With all the veggie scraps and leftover plate scrapings and other food waste that we have on such a large property, we really need a pig to help keep up with that.

After a thorough scrubbing from head to hoof, we discovered that Pig wasn't quite as cute as Wilbur but we decided, "That'll do, Pig. That'll do".

We tried composting but it wasn't turning into fertilizer fast enough. With a pig we get instant fertilizer and the garbage disappears. Win Win!

If this photo weren't cropped so effectively, you'd see some of that 'fertilizer' which Pig left behind for us.
Then of course in the far off, very distant future, this pig will serve an even greater good when she lands on the table instead of eating the scraps from it. Circle of life, people, circle of life.

Unknown Mami

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Come hang out with me. Your comments brighten my day and make me feel less lonely in my corner of the globe. .Wanna know more about my crazy life? Give a shout!

You can also email me at amymorrowinafricaATgmailDOTcom

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis