Sunday, September 9, 2012

Another Edition of Seriously?!?!

Before I tell you what happened a couple days ago, I have to give you a bit of background. Recently we had to do a complete reshuffling of our staff due to conditions beyond our control. I keep meaning to write something about this and perhaps I will one day.

Anyway, the bottom line is that we have a new kitchen lady. She is very sweet, but quite out of her element. We've been training her for three weeks now and it's as if it's her first day. She's even made some fairly dangerous mistakes, like leaving the gas stove on without the flame. Still, we continue to work with her hoping one day everything will click. 

This is just to give you an idea of my frame of mind Friday evening as I worked to teach S. yet again how to prepare cereal for the babies. I was a little frustrated......

Now, I do take full responsibility for what happened next, even though I still can't believe it.

For the babies' cereal we cook rice until it's very soft, add sugar, milk and peanut butter and then each evening we take a bit out of the fridge and blend it for a moment with hot water. We use an immersion blender like the one shown below.



I demonstrated how to blend up the rice, and then proceeded to wipe around the blades with my finger to get every bit of cereal out. 

Can you see where this is going?

I had neglected to remove the blade section from the motor section and as I cleaned off the blades with the index finger of my left hand, my right hand unconciously tightened its grip--which put pressure on the button and next thing I knew my finger was being ground up!

The nice thing about serious injuries is that you don't feel pain right away. The bad thing is that you do eventually feel it. My finger had shallow cuts all over it, and the bone at the tip is most likely bruised if not actually broken. Ouch!

Aside from the pain, which has been intense, I feel so foolish. Who sticks their finger into a blade without making sure the power was completely off? Seriously!

Exactly One Year Ago: Jeepers Creepers
Exactly Two Years Ago: We're Always Trying to be Different

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Come hang out with me. Your comments brighten my day and make me feel less lonely in my corner of the globe. .Wanna know more about my crazy life? Give a shout!

You can also email me at amymorrowinafricaATgmailDOTcom

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis